Remaining Catholic clergy kidnapped in Haiti finally released on Friday
Updated: May 1
The last six of 10 hostages who were kidnapped in Haiti earlier this month were released on Friday, including four Catholic priests and two French citizens, a missionary group says.
The group of 10, five priests and two nuns among them, were initially taken at gunpoint from the commune of Croix-des-Bouquets, northeast of Port-au-Prince, on April 11.
In a statement, the Archbishop of Port-au-Prince, Max Leroy Mesidor, welcomed the release of the final group that remained captive.
"It is a relief for the whole church, a relief for society," he said.
The six were described as "stable" but "physically weak" due to lack of proper meals over the past three weeks, the Rev. Gilbert Peltrop of the Haitian Conference of Religious, told local media.
"We are happy but my joy is mixed," he said, citing many others still held hostage by gangs as well as the lack of any arrests by police in the latest case.
It wasn't immediately clear whether any ransom was paid to secure the latest hostage release.